Eidsvold & District Historical Society
Eidsvold Station was taken up in 1848 by the Archer brothers, naming it after Eidsvoll, Norway. In 1887 when the gold elds were proclaimed, the bustling gold mining town of over 2000 was named Eidsvold. Eidsvold Historical Complex is located in country redolent with memories of sheep, cattle and gold mining days from families whose descendants still live in the district. A highlight is their country hospitality which can be organised for booked groups. On site is the surviving detached kitchen of Knockbreak Homestead- a slab and shingle hut of the Sinclair family from the 1860s. Guthrie Sinclair worked on the Archer brothers’ Eidsvold Station as a shepherd. Paid in sheep, he tendered for a run and moved his family and ocks to Knockbreak, named after his district in Scotland. Other buildings relocated to the complex include the old station buildings of Clonave, the Calrossie store and meat shop and the Riverleigh Railway Fettlers’ Cottage. Amongst the displays in Riverleigh, is the Iris Bancroft Soldiers Corner: a collection of the photographs and memorabilia of the local men and women who served for Australia from the Boer to the Vietnam Wars. Two extensive collections held in trust in the complex are the George Schafer collection of geological specimens assembled by this local bushman over 50 years and the Schultz/ Duncan collection of bottles and tools from rural Queensland post 1880s.